Over the past few months I’ve found myself in a love-hate relationship with Facebook. I’m tired of the illusion of privacy my personal information is hidden behind. Even if I delete every path from myself to some type of information the information itself still exists. I’ve thought about deleting my Facebook account but that would be like getting rid of my cell phone. I’m not very “good at” Facebook, I don’t usually talk to my friends but it’s nice to have the option. Facebook is still my rolodex. The same applies to my phone, I’d say that about 70% of everything I do with my phone somehow involves talking to only my girlfriend, most of the remaining 30% is me just using the calendar to set reminders. I used to have about a hundred numbers in my phone and now I probably have less than twenty and half of those are for pizza or something.
Recently I got an upgrade for my phone. I could have gotten a smart phone and paid extra for the data plan but I’d much rather buy an “un-smart” phone and save some money. Internet on a phone is probably great to have but I’m an information science major, I’m almost always sitting at a computer anyway so what’s the point. I’m sure smart phones will be all that are available soon so then I guess I’ll have to give in and buy a Droid. I’m not a big fan of Apple.
I’ve always disliked Apple products. I don’t own a single thing (that I know of) made by Apple. I even purchased a Zune because I didn’t want an mp3 player made by Apple. My girlfriend doesn’t share my baseless dislike for Apple products and owns an iPod as well as an iHome. This past daylights savings I learned that there is an incredibly ingenious switch on the bottom of the iHome that allows you to “spring forward” or “fall back” an hour with…well… a flick of a switch. I’ve always disliked Apple products…but I really liked that switch.
Kevin N. Supple